Understanding the heat ratings of our Sportchief hunting boots
Are you chilly, a little, a lot or not at all? Do you practice active or more passive hunting? Whatever your answer, there is nothing more inconvenient than freezing the tips of your toes or being too hot! Follow our tips to make sure you make the right choice for your hunting boots to stay comfortable and dry.
A text from the Sportchief team
Trust the legend!
Anxious to correctly guide our customers, we have added an icon to the product sheet of our hunting boots allowing you to better understand its heat index. Warning warning. Remember that everyone has a different resistance threshold to cold or heat. Nevertheless, here is the reference guide to help you understand what these drawings mean to make an informed choice.
Our lightweight hunting boots for mild weather
100 to 200 grams of insulation
Light insulation perfect for the month of September when the temperature is moderate, or in October for active hunting.
Our most versatile hunting boots
400 grams of insulation
Average insulation for the month of October or even at the beginning of November in active hunting.
Our hunting boots to move
800 grams of insulation
Significant insulation for November or even in December, for active hunters.
See the collection.
Our warm hunting boots for the intense cold
1200 grams of insulation
Superior insulation, suitable for harsh conditions or for hunters standing still outdoors for long periods of time.
Define your needs
Many elements can influence the choice of a hunting boot and if you don't have 3 pairs, either the versatile (least warm), the active (average) or the extreme (the warmest), let's take a look all the parameters that are good to know before deciding on the pair of boots that will suit you for the next season.
It is tempting to be convinced by a model of boots whose camouflage matches your hunting outfit or a pair of discount boots, but the first criteria to be determinedrminer are:
- The type of hunting you will practice. Will you stay more in a hide position or do you practice fine hunting? For example, fine or active hunting should direct you to a shoe that offers a little less insulation, while hunting in a hide position will require a higher degree of insulation due to your inaction.
The type of terrain on which you will carry out your activities.
- Is it an environment where there is a lot of water or is it rather a dry ground? This question will steer you towards either a high rubber boot or rather a more fitted leather boot.
- Will you be hunting in the mountains or more on flat ground? You will have to ask your dealer about the type of traction to consider as well as the flexibility of your boot.
- Do you plan to go into dense forest or do you prefer to walk on open paths? Here too the question is very important, because it will lead you to validate the support at the level of the ankle. Besides, you should know that when we talk about heat, the long boot will not necessarily be warmer. The height therefore has no effect on the heat. On the other hand, we will see a difference in terms of mobility or even in terms of ankle protection, but we will come back to this in another article.
- Finally, you have to ask yourself about your degree of tolerance to cold. Does as soon as the mercury touches zero, the big toel Do you freeze or rather, do you have hot feet even at -40 degrees?
Types of insulation
We have chosen Primaloft as insulation for our products, which has shown the best results during our test benches. Humidity will influence the level of comfort. Having wet feet will make you freeze faster, that's for sure. The advantage with Primaloft is that even when wet, il retains its properties for heat. Moreover, the company has chosen Primaloft as the insulation of choice for the future since it is a guarantee of quality for customers.
What is Primaloft?
A synthetic alternative to natural down, Primaloft insulations have the same compressibility and warmth characteristics for a similar weight, but they are water repellent; which allows them to keep their thermoregulation properties even when in the presence of humidity.
Learn more about our technologies.
See our products with Primaloft.
The importance of the insole
Now let's look at the look of the false sole inside a boot. When purchased, you can expect it to do its job, which is to add an extra layer of insulation. However, when it is flattened, it loses its properties. “The false sole insulates because there is air coming inside and the air becomes an insulator. If it is completely collapsed, the sole will not be as hot as when purchased,” describes Jonathan Fortin, senior designer of boots and shoes at Sportchief. He therefore recommends changing the insole once a year or once every two years, depending on how the boot is used.
The quality of stockings
Obviously, a less warm boot could be combined with a sock that contains wool, for example. Just as a perfect pair of boots could be a bad match for a bottom that does not breathe and retain sweat. In short, before finishing your shopping, take a look at our collection of stockings.
See the collection below
Adopt the Sportchief boots
The team of designers behind Sportchief has always had at heart since its foundation to develop a varied range of products that can address the widest possible clientele and above all, meet very specific needs. There's every reason to find the right pair of boots to start your next hunting season.
Certainly, every hunter will find the right pair for their feet in the Sportchief range of boots. If necessary, turn to an advisor in a store near you (link find a store).
See our hunting boots.